Preschool- K classes will be taught according to weekly themes that cover cross curricular subjects (English, Spanish, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and Artistic expression). Bsaed on research, Charleston Bilingual Academy implements our powerimmersion instruction, incorporating relevance, inquiry, and play-based strategies imbedded in a language-enriched, Christ-centered environment. (We recommend you read Power of Play by David Elkind). Students will learn through playing, hands-on experiences/ explorations, and language expression via interaction with teachers and peers. It is paramount that preschool-aged children feel loved, enjoy learning, are constantly curious, and have an “I can” attitude, so that they enter school with enthusiasm, confidence, and the desire to learn.
Essential Elements to powerimmersion:
- Teachers will create a language-rich environment.
- Teachers will embed instruction through play.
- Teachers will create multi-sensory, kinesthetic, safe environments, appealing to all types of intelligences and incorporating the fine arts.
- Teachers will gear instruction towards teaching students how to think more than what to think.
- Teachers will embed objectives into real world applications that bridge several content areas (project- based inquiry).
- Teachers will facilitate individualized pacing to maximizing learning by employing whole-group, small-group, and one-on-one, and individual instruction (through play).
- Teachers will use data to tailor instruction (view our evaluation tool) .
- Teachers will encourage students to inquire about and discover information through trial and error.
- Teachers will demonstrate fruits of the Holy Spirit-filled life with colleagues, parents, and students (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, and self-control).
Student Objectives (according to developmentally appropriate levels)
- Students will grow in large and fine motor skills.
- Students will learn and apply interpersonal communication skills (how to depend on each other through play, peer tutoring, serving each other, and working through conflict).
- Students will learn intrapersonal skills, of how to identify emotions and how to appropriately express themselves.
- Students will gain multicultural awareness both of their own culture and other cultures, identifying how cultures compare and connect on individual and community levels.
- Students will learn the love of reading and will learn to read when they demonstrated readiness. Students will also express reading comprehension through picture journals.
- Students will learn numbers and base ten math (We will use Singapore Math at a preschool level, where students begin to think critically/spatially about quantity and comparisons within a play environment).
- Students will learn to write according to their developmental level (similar framework to Handwriting Without Tears).
- Students will learn the tension between the order and peace established in creation and the disorder and brokenness caused by sin (selfishness). They will understand that Jesus Christ came to bring spiritual healing and reestablish order and peace, and as he heals us, he uses us to bring his healing to others. Students will learn through both biblical studies, and daily interactions, that Jesus Christ is the great hero, and that we all need to depend on him.
You can contact us and request a copy of our standards-based report card which demonstrates all the goals that we teach to and evaluate.